Goal Setting – Winning in 2017
WHAT IS GOAL SETTING?
Goal setting is a powerful technique we use to develop solid foundation for future planning and organization.
It helps us know where to concentrate and what to improve.
WHY SET GOALS?
When the purpose of a thing is not known abuse is inevitable.
Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together.
WHAT THE MASTERS SAY…
“A goal properly set is halfway reached.”– Abraham Lincoln
“A goal is a dream with a deadline.” – Napoleon Hill
Small Moves, Big Changes (book) – Caroline Arnold (MD Goldman Sachs)
The created world itself can hardly wait for what’s coming next – Rom 8:19 (MSG)
HOW TO SET GOALS
Your goals must be in alignment with who you truly are, your values and your purpose.
If you don’t know these you’d get overwhelmed and frustrated because the goals are not fashioned to fit into what you truly want and who you really are.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
- What do you want your life to look and feel like?
- What do you value most? What’s important to you?
- What matters most at this point in your life?
- What would you like to be able to say about your life after it’s too late to do anything about it?
- How do you want your life to feel on a day-to-day basis?
- What would you like people’s perceptions of you to be?
- What do you daydream about?
- When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Do you ever find yourself wishing you were different? What do you wish?
- Why aren’t you that way? What gets in your way?
- Of all the things you have done in your life, what has given you the most satisfaction or pleasure?
- Of all the things you have done in your life, what has given you the least satisfaction or pleasure?
- If you no longer had to work, how would you spend your time? And with whom?
- What is missing from your life? When you find yourself wishing for something, what is it?
- What motivates you to perform above and beyond the call of duty?
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What are your greatest weaknesses?
- What do you want to achieve, but you find it impossible to do? What barriers make it impossible? Think again, are those barriers really insurmountable?
- What would you do monthly/weekly/daily towards these goals?
- What will achieving these goals mean to you?
- How would achieving these goals benefit you?
- How would achieving these goals make you feel?
GOAL SETTING AREAS
- Health & Well-being.
- Personal Development & Education.
- Emotional Growth & Stability.
- Material Needs.
- Business & Career.
- Recreation & Leisure.
- Finances & Investment.
- Relationship & Marriage.
- Home & Family.
GOAL SETTING NOTES
- Goals must be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic & Relevant, & Time-bound)
- Review your goals routinely at least monthly (beginning of the month) & weekly (beginning of the week).